Sore throats are basically caused by the infections from the viruses or bacterias, or the allergies that flare up or during the times of environmental factors like dry air or voice strain. Most of the sore throats are viral and resolves only within the specified time. It might take a week or few days to resolve out the issues regarding a sore throat.
Check out the measures below if the sore throat lasts longer than 5 days or is accompanied by high fever-
1. Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Pain Relief – You can take an Anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or Naproxen that can help you out with the pain and will also alleviate the swelling that is associated with the sore throat. This also works well in the times of high fever.
2. Salt Water Gargle – There are many studies as per which it has been found out that gargling for several times a day with warm salt water can help out a lot. It decreases the swelling in the throat and also removes the mucus. It flushes out the irritants and the bacteria from the throat and is very helpful in the process. Repeat this for at least 2-3 times a day for a better throat.
3. Use a Humidifier – If you run a humidifier or a vaporiser, this will increase the moisture in the air. It improves breathing and keeps your skin and mouth, nose and breathing organs lubricated. It also helps in improving the dryness of the throat and improves recovery.
4. Lozenges and Sprays – If you suck on a lozenge, you will definitely increase the saliva that will not only help in lubricating and soothing a sore throat. This can help you treat the sore throat in the best possible manner. With this the recovery time becomes more tolerable.
5. Chicken Soup – To heal out your sore throat, you can always warm up the chicken broth and have it. The salt inside it helps in the inflammation and the warm fluid is very refreshing and soothing for the throat. It thins out the mucus and helps in providing hydration to your sore throat.
6. Honey – It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can heal out your sore throat easily and quickly. Manuka honey is considered the best for sore throat. Take it spoonful or mix it with the warm fluid, it will definitely heal you.